THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES

Frey


Monday, December 8th, 2008

Day 162 on The Big Trip. “Frey in a Day”

FREY is a place just outside of here, where here is Bariloche, Argentinean Patagonia. To get to there from here might I suggest taking the No. Cerro Catedral bus to the base of Cerro Catedral? From the parking lot, follow the banderas (flags) to the sign that says Frey and the path that says Frey, just quieter than the sign – at first, that is.

FOUR hours is the expected duration of the trek there for hikers with large packs full of morsels, tents, and could it be – climbing gear? We are without these large packs and have been told by those who have ventured this far that three hours is our expected trekking time. Being competitive, we want to smash the three hours in a trekking battle. Off we go! We pass a forest fired. Lakes, the Andes and songs about Chains and Bandit are the backdrop. By the by, Chains and Bandit are the names we give each other when adventuring.

A MERE two and a half hours after parking lot departure, we strike gold. Alisa poses for the first picture, behind her the astounding mini lake captured by the cliffs and spires. We rest and eat two of our 13 peanut butter and jelly sandwiches that we made for the trek, and drink some of the six liters of water that we also lugged up these 1700m.

TIME to walk! The scenery here is amazing. I notice nice crack systems in spires for climbing and spot a few bolts, if I’m not mistaken. But alas, we only brought our shoes. No chalk, no nothing, no else! Regardless I give this boulder a run for its money. That is, until it takes my spare change. Soon my fingers hurt and I just can’t get past the crux move on what I guess is only a V4 or V5. All this traveling has made me soft!

I HOP up on another boulder surrounded by its very own mote, to record the vlog for this little adventure that isn’t quit over.

FIRST we run back to the refugio. Can you see tiny Alisa running near the water? And, after a little rest and snack, we’re ready to leave Frey and the Refugio Frey for our descent trek. Hopefully we’ll go even faster back to C. Catedral!

IN just under two hours, we’re back! Unfortunately, we missed the bus that arrives every 1 ½ hours by 20 minutes. I hope we like waiting around! We rest, take off our dirty shoes, and think about the days to come. On the 12th I turn 24. On the 9th we move into our house. On the 19th my family visits. There are a lot of momentous events on the horizon! I look forward to all of them, some out of turn!

5 comments:

Unknown said...

Happy Birthday to you! Hippo Birdies so true!

heehee! I better look out you're only 3 years back for the next 2 months!
Hope you have a wonderful birthday Natie. love ya!

Unknown said...

Happy Birthday my beloved son.

I am so blessesd that you are my son, that you are our son that you are the brother to your sibs that you are the future brother in law that you have such a sweetie purple girlwoman that you are in the world, for sure. Be extra special wonderful to yourself today. God bless and He does. xo Mom

Unknown said...

Thanks for the birthday wishes, Nicky and mom! I can´t tell whose is whose, though--haha! Hope you guys had a good birthday of mine, too?!

See you soon for a continued party!!

Anonymous said...

Happy belated b-day, Nate!!! This big trip is living up to its title! Hopefully you were able to do something special on your special day! Know we love you back here in Maine too! This trip looks amazing and we hope to see more Christmas photos when you have the whole family down. Sorry I've been delinquent in keeping up with you in your travels but I'll be trying to do a better job now! I got to give Mike a hug and kiss today at Dad's. Hopefully he'll pass it on when he sees you. Love from here. This is totally adventurous and I hope you're having the time of your life. You deserve it. Love, Midge, Matt, Jake, Sarah, Ryan and Ruth Elizabeth. Tegarah xoxoxo

Unknown said...

Hey Midge!
And Matt and Jake and Sarah! And Ryan and Ruth Elizabeth!

WHOoOOA! I didn´t see this comment coming! Thanks so much for your message! Know that I´ve been thinking a lot about you and Maine and Mainers here in Patagonia...I think you´d love it here! Have great holidays and enjoy some cold weather, shoveling, and cold car seat belts for me! Stay tuned for sure for more holiday, birthday, and random adventure posts!

Tegarah, xoxoxo!

-n8