THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES

Puerto Maldonado 2

Friday, October 17th , 2008

Day 110 on The Big Trip. “How did we outdo the Jungle?”

MACHETES are for jungles and scary dogs with bad intentions. On our travels we encounter jungles and we encounter scary dogs with bad intentions. Thus, we want a machete. So we set out to find one. Every shop sells a machete “sin funda”. We can’t just carry around a bare machete while we travel, so we have to find a machete “con funda”. We can’t because there simply aren’t any. However, we devise a plan to get a machete and find someone likely to have the know-how and wherewithal to make one for us; how about a shoe repairman? He says yes, just bring him the machete and he’ll make it for us within an hour.

SCOOTERS are awesome for running errands. And cost-wise, too! Consider S/5 ($1.33) per hour for fun on a scooter versus 2-3 Soles every time you need to get a mototaxi elsewhere. It’s a no-brainer! Let’s run some jungle errands on a scooter! I test it out first, and once Alisa approves of my scooter-skills, she hops on for the day!


JUNGLE JUICES are some of the things we have to get done today. There are certain drinks only found in and around the jungle that we fully plan to get our hands on before our 2:30pm bus departure back – 18 hours – to Cusco. Number one: aguajina. Aguajina is a juice made from the fruit called the aguaje, which we observed in trees and at the base of trees the day prior in the Tambopata National Reserve! Number two: cocona. We’re not sure what cocona is besides a beverage that we intend on trying. Luckily after lunching we find a juice stand that has both of these commodities!

SINCE we’d both already just tried aguajina before lunch at a smaller stand, we order one cocona and one jugo de maracuya (passionfruit juice). In the U.S., I very much dislike passionfruit juice. In S.A., I very much prefer jugo de maracuya to other jugos, even, surprisingly enough, to pineapple juice. It’s interesting to compare jugo de maracuya and cocona side-by-side because they’re actually quite similar! Cocona seems to be the nearly the same except less sweet and slightly altered flavor and as for here, it’s served cooler!

SURPRISED we were when offered aguajes to try. Keep in mind aguajes are used to make aguajina. We have tried the drink, which itself was orangelike in color, but quite tart even with sweetener. It goes without saying that we were wary of the fruit that bore the now familiar drink! We observed a girl working there add sugar – or salt – to her aguaje after removing its small and barely adhesive diamond-shaped shell pieces, before taking a few chomps. So, slowly we peeled our shells and realized that there is a bijunction between the way in which one eats their corn (on the cob) and their aguaje. That is to say, Alisa goes in (messy) rows and I eat round and round, one end to the other, occasionally making a crown design if it’s taking me awhile to eat (rarer with corn). Go figure, the aguaje is very tart and pins both of us to the 10-count in a pucker-face. Aguajes 2, Us 0. Home team advantage?

PURCHASING a cord for our machete sling is the last errand we do before leaving Puerto Maldonado. We have tried our jungle juices, ridden scooters, coordinated a machete ensemble purchase, ridden the Rio Madre de Dios as well as Lago Sandoval, seen lots and lots of wildlife, swam in very warm lake waters after scaring away any potential crocs or rays with lots of paddle smashing from a boat first, and now, I think we’ve tempered enough heat, humidity and cheap accommodations to last us ‘til Patagonia! Time to head back on a nicer bus in less than 20 hours if possible! Thank you, Peruvian Jungle!


NEWS UPDATE: I'm not posting every day now but instead every day that I think you'll find exciting, new, and different, a.k.a. newsworthy. Just to let you know, It's now Sunday Day 112 and we're hoping to leave Cusco today for Puno and Lake Titicaca! Wish us luck! Only a 6-7-hour bus ride this time!

Your landescaper, -n8

6 comments:

Unknown said...

yo passionfruit pucker face! you two are more resourceful than Oliver Twist, The Indian in the Cupboard, and Mousey Boy Overboard combined! good luck on the bus.

Anonymous said...

What an amazing and varied adventure you are on! You both look gr8. Thought I'd beat Mom to "where was Alisa's helmet on the scooter". That is simply a safety message and not in any way perjorative re N8s skooter skills. Stay well.

Kevi said...

Hi N8!

Just checking in to say hi, looks like you guys are having stupendous amounts of fun. I'm heartily enjoying both blogs, as of writing your counter says 1579 hits and I probably account for 1568 of them.

I haven't seen any posts about climbing! It's probably for the best, you can climb anywhere anytime but it isn't every day you get to ride a board down sand dunes, explore spectacular ruins, and/or puke your brains out with salmonella. Seems like the healthcare down there is pretty darn cheap, and effective. I'll restrain myself from launching into a diatribe against the greedy U.S. healthcare system, but needless to say I bet we could learn a few things from your experiences with South American healthcare!

Looks like Obama is going to win. McCain's chances were never great, but he really shot himself in the foot by choosing Palin for VP. After people got over their initial infatuation with her, everyone realized she's fantastically unfit to run the country. Sure, she'll pull in votes from Americans who desire a fearless leader that dresses fashionably, but unfortunately for McCain those folks are the types who won't vote.

I'm looking forward to Obama's presidency, will he be able to execute his grandiose plans? Will his tax plan work with our tremendous and rapidly growing national debt? If he succeeds, our country should be in decent shape within 10 years.

Anyway, enough rambling and blambling (like that new word? blamble: to blather and ramble, just made it up). I'm happy as a horse here in San Diego, just got back from a 4 day Yosemite camping trip last weekend! I took your advice on the tent, got a 3 person whopper with 2 person intention (the Hoodoo 3, REI). My buddy and I fit very comfortably. Regardless of the rating, my tent is definitely not large enough for 3 people, and there's no way 6'7" Brian and 6'5" myself would fit in a tent rated for 2 people. Thanks for the advice, N8!

We assaulted Half Dome, which has 500 feet of near vertical slab towards the end of the hike. They've installed cables for folks to haul themselves up; I was wicked scared and gripped the cables so tight I got the pump. I was convinced I would lose my grip and fall to my death but guess what? I'm still here. It was incredibly incredible.

Keep up the fun and looks like you're getting close to Chile! I'm rooting you guys on and constantly looking forward to the next blog post.

Kevin

Unknown said...

To Nicky: HI! Hi! Hello! I'm not made of wood! My nose isn't big! And I don't paint fences that I didn't build myself...That said, how're you doing? Any good poems of yours-, books of others-lately? Palabra.

Unknown said...

To Dad: I still feel like I haven't said happy birthday to you because I haven't been able to see you and give you a hug and take you on a sore-ankle trip -- or a rollerblade trip! or something! As we were hopping on the scooters I told Alisa mom would say something for sure! Don't worry--we were safe and no more scooters for now! Any ideas for mom's b-day coming up?! Tomorrow early morning (Fri) and Sat. we'll be climbing a huge-huge mountain near Arequipa (6075m) Chachani! Wish us luck! Can't wait to meet up with you! ++!! (that's right -- double factorial!) Ttys!

Unknown said...

To Keviniel! I don't even know where to begin with you, Keviniel! WHADDAYADUUUUIN?! We're about to monster-up this 6075m Chachani tomorrow and the next day! Just bought lots of water and a drink called Electrolyte (SA hydration power). We must catch up and rant about bad companies, bad decisions, bad people, and then switch the conversation to the goods! Activities and new ideas! I'm jealous you got to do Half Dome! Nice going! Next time we'll conquer it on our own paws and gear!

Keep me uptodate, bud, aye?! Thanks so much for the comments -- mean a lot! And I'm glad you can fit in a tent! Haha! Yeah -- Sean and I were practically on top of one another in my cozy "2-p" tent! Good quality, though! Eventually I'd love to have a NoFa 3p, 4season tent! Much love from Arequipa!