THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES

Puno

Sunday, October 19th, 2008

Day 112 on The Big Trip, “Out of Cusco”



THE GIST of today is that we leave Cusco. Check out the video for the excitement of the trip. Later we arrive late at night to Puno. We make it to the hostel called Los Pinos on Tarapaca Ave. It’s weird arriving to Puno. I forgot that Puno is actually ON Lake Titicaca. We can see the city lights reflecting on it; in it. For now we are very tired and hungry so we ask the helpful hostel employee where we can go to get food “at this hour” near here. Well, it’s not safe to walk far so don’t bring much, but head down the corner to the walkway leading to the plaza-strip. There you’ll find lots of restaurants like

COLORS, a black-and-white restaurant that gives fancy small portions that taste like they tried hard to make it elegant but made it unique and slightly interesting! We wanted large portions of normal. Oh well! To bed! Tomorrow we’ll wake up at 6am to catch the 7am departure of the boats at the docks to go to the islands on Lake Titicaca, the world’s highest natural, navigate-able lake!

OR NOT!

Monday, October 20th, 2008

Day 113 on The Big Trip, “Hold on, Lake TC; we're coming!”

THE GIST of today is that I put the PU in Puno. We spend the day resting and not adventuring more than necessary. We eat at a vegetarian restaurant and I didn't like the food but ordered like I did. Outside it sounds like Chinese New Year's: firecrackers going off around town. There are purple and white strung around. We step out to find a religious procession in progress. We find a laundry place to clean our laundry that we plan to retrieve after our night on a high-altitude island.

RICOS PAN is a pastry cafe that disappointed us in Puno. We'd heard great things, but the service was ignore-ant. Too bad.

I guess tomorrow’ll be the big day!

2 comments:

Unknown said...

nice work fixing the post forum!
hey - bus rides are judged by how often the breakdown - the more the cooler! we broke down all the time in namibia! i have a pic of me on my knees in the middle of a dusty road with my hands toward heaven and a straw hat on my head! now doesn't that image give you nightmares!

Unknown said...

Oh how romantic! haha. I love saying "Oh how romantic" to things like that, or to things like, "Look, they're skinning that horse?!" Hmm...But seriously, I like the image my mind conjured from your words. I'm perusing the mind-pixels right now. In groups, of course. I think my mind images are oval... Hmm..a friend of ours had rocks thrown at her bus near Cusco -- a 51 hr ride instead of 10! yikes! haha --do you like the pop-up window better or the way comments were before? blagablagga