THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES

Looking Ahead

I am about to leave the United States. More to the point, I am about to leave what I have familiarized myself with for my more than 23 years on this planet. I can't be afraid of getting wet now, I have to (do a 53-foot) jump right in!

Eating garbonzo beans and sipping gin and tonics after a 40-mile vista hike in the Andes, I will be whistling the tune of my future. The wind will shift and I will pull out a machete and tramp my way through the jungle to reach our fortress by nightfall. By nightcrash. The moon fell down the stairs and won't be able to guide us as well tonight; it has been slightly abused. I am sad to say it but the truth must be spilled faster than molasses: I suspect relationship problems. The sun is very dominant, you know. Master, master. Master of the masts, I will be.

"If you had one super power, what would it be?" Ever since I was first asked this question, I knew the answer. I didn't know what I wanted to be in life, but I surely knew what super power I'd want to have. If I had one super power, it would be the super power to give anyone else any super power I so desired. I'm just now, this very moment past 1am the morning of the day I leave familiarity, realizing that this answer speaks more volumes of me than I thought. I'm getting to know myself and I love it. If you want a super power, come speak to me! Comment and request. But realize that receiving a super power is a bit like therapy: it comes in different, even surprising forms!

My goal for this trip, as I was telling my sister, Nicole, rycherhymer, is to exert as much energy as possible with nature. Bonus points for this trip I know already will be seeing many countries, many worlds, learning Spanish by living South-American, and spending more time with awesome persons!

For the trip across the U.S.o.A., I used a tent, sleeping bags, lots of clothes, lots of climbing gear, a car, and so on and so forth! For this trip through much of S. America, I will use the Porter 46 bag by Osprey, a company that makes wonderful packs. This is the only bag I'm bringing; it's a durable 2-as-1 backpack-duffle. In it I will put the following items: sandals, 3-4 sets of clothes that can all be washed in sinks, a water bottle, toiletries, my laptop, medicine, leatherman, laptop in bag. Also, I am bringing two small, waterproof Sea to Summit sacks in which I am putting things that I do not want to get wet at all, in case my Porter 46 bag gets soaked.

Thanks to everyone who has read, commented, and stayed in touch via The Big Trip blog thus far. I'm really excited and bear great hopes for the next portion of the trip. I can't wait to experience it and hear what your responses are, as well!

"Mind clockworks like a stone age stomach, chewin up thoughts that all wreak havoc," says your landescaper, n8

8 comments:

Peaceful Road Warrior said...

Bon voyage, Nate. I know you’ll have an awesome time. Please take care of yourselves and keep us all up-to-date a lot! Be safe and fare well.

Unknown said...

Thanks, Pat! We'll do our best! And then maybe some! See you in Patagonia!

Kevi said...

I don't see "climbing shoes" or "chalk" in this Osprey pack you tote, no climbing in the Southern Americas???!?!?!11oneone

Anonymous said...

I personally saw climbing shoes in said pack a week ago. Chances are they are still there. He also mentioned the possibility of authorities thinking his "white gold" could be mistaken for coke.

ali sa said...

you arrive in less than 12 hours!

i finally made it to quito after 7 hours at the border. they blamed a power outage, i blame the no-rush south american mentality. thought i'd have to spend the night camped outside the immigration office!

love you loads and see you REALLY soon!

Unknown said...

Definitely snuck climbing shoes and "white gold" chalk into the pack. There were a few last minute additions as well, thanks to dad: luna bars and cliff bars, which already came in handy at airports.

So far so good! Already lost sunglasses! I think they were taken off of my head while sleeping on the last flight? I had them getting on the plane and I really didn't have enough items to loose track and put it somewhere else. Haha. Wow!

Time for enjoying!

Anonymous said...

Maybe Alisa left them on top of the car?

Unknown said...

That was the first pair down! Then Alisa lost a pair of hers in Colombia. And now I've lost my second pair en route!